Domain Authority (usually referred to simply as DA) is a metric that shows you what the authority is for a website. Obviously, the higher the authority number, the higher the possibility that you are going to rank higher in results for major search engines. This is why you want to improve domain authority and keep it in the back of your mind. The tips below will help you to do just that.
Work on off-page SEO
The site’s link profile is a vital metric. The sites that do not have a clean, strong profile always have lower domain authority than the opposite. To put it as simple as possible, the strong link profile appears for a site when:
- Links come from higher authority sites.
- Links are relevant.
- The number of low-quality links is as low as possible.
- Links come from many unique domain names.
Focus on natural link building
This practically means that the content present on your site should be of a really high-quality. As this happens, links will naturally come from other sites. In theory, a person reaches your site, reads articles and link to them because they appreciate what they found.
Obviously, in order to make this work, the content that you have on the site needs to be link-worthy. This is easier said than done. You need to hire professionals in the event that you cannot get it done by yourself.
Blogger outreach is a wonderful way to get really good backlinks. All you have to do is reach out to webmasters and show them your content. There are many other things that can be said about the subject but you will be surprised to notice how often this brings in really good backlinks.
Optimize on-page SEO
One thing that few people know is that domain authority can be improved when you do really good on-page SEO work. This means you optimize content and important elements on the page. To keep things simple, some of the things you want to do include:
- Optimizing Meta Descriptions and Titles
- Making sure URL structure is SEO optimized
- Using Headings inside the content
- Using internal links
- Naturally using appropriate keywords
- Formatting site content so that there is a higher possibility that featured snippets appear
Make the site mobile-friendly
In the past, this was optional. Nowadays, things are different as having mobile-friendly designs is simply mandatory. Here’s why:
- More mobile searches happen than desktop searches.
- Mobile-friendliness is nowadays considered to be an important Google ranking factor.
- Many users search first with a mobile device to then continue their search on Desktop computers.
- If you do not have a site that is mobile-friendly, DA score goes down.
As an extra tip, seriously consider using Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP). These are nowadays the norm among developers and SEO specialists alike.
Improve page speed
Last but not least and highly-related to sites being mobile-friendly, loading speed is vital for domain authority. The Google algorithm takes this into account. Those sites that do load fasters have a clear advantage and are preferred for higher rankings.