Mobile devices are becoming a vital part of daily lives. Right now, we see consumer media consumption changing in front of our eyes. This leads to digital marketing changing as a whole. While in the past promoting something was all about advertising, nowadays things are much more complex. Marketers need to use new strategies and have to adapt to a changing online environment. Micro-moments can be very valuable in modern marketing.
What Is A Micro-Moment?
A micro-moment is officially defined as being an “internet rich moment”. Basically, it happens when you use a device because you have to act so that you know something, go somewhere, do something, or buy something. During a micro-moment, the consumer makes really quick decisions and new preferences are shaped.
To put it as simple as possible, the micro-moment is when something big happens online, an event that is capable of changing viewer perception. Keep in mind that the regular internet user checks a mobile device around 150 times per day. During those times, the consumer is receptive to the ads that are seen. Obviously, marketers can easily take advantage of this and use micro-moments to improve digital marketing funnels.
Connecting Micro-Moments To A Customer’s Journey
When you look at search trends and data, you get insights about the topics and content types that people look for. With such information, you can capture customers really early in their decision-making process. You do this through the creation of content that is appropriate to the micro-moment that exists. You can then create content that engages, is perfectly tailored to the events, and properly resonates with people during their customer journey.
As an example, let’s say a person looks for a specific keyword related to the business you own. Based on that, we can assume that the customer is actually interested in an offered product. Personalized ads can be created and presented so that awareness and consideration are boosted. In addition, marketers can even send emails about discounts and offers in relation to micro-moments.
Let’s say that a business sells sunglasses. You, the user, look online for motor bikes. This means you are targeted as a potential customer for some appropriate sunglasses. The micro-moment is you looking for motor bikes. Presenting the sunglasses that are appropriate is how you take advantage of the micro-moment.
Taking Advantage Of Micro-Moments In Business
You gain access to very important insights when you analyze searches made with mobile devices. However, having such information does not mean that you can properly leverage it. The micro-moments simply show you relevant data about who searches for a query. You want to reach customers so you need to make the content relevant to what the customer base desires. This is true for both social media and Google searches.
Some very effective ways to use micro-moments include:
- Search engine optimization – With good SEO, the web page reaches the top of search engines. The SEO campaign can be built around micro-moments so that more traffic appears on web pages.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) – This type of advertising gives you instant access to traffic.
- Content creation – You cannot do SEO work without really good content. Because of this, when you want to grab the attention of potential customers, you want to create high-quality content.
- Design customer friendly websites – Having really good content is not enough for the modern website visitor. The design of the site needs to be up to the standard of quality seen as appropriate. Building user-friendly websites does not directly link to the micro-moment. However, it is mandatory.
- Social media – Obviously, because of the fact that social networks are nowadays used by billions of people that share news and other types of content, you can leverage micro-moments in your social media marketing strategy.
As you can easily imagine, micro-moments are much more complex than what we highlighted and it is difficult to explain how to properly use them in marketing campaigns. However, what needs to be said is that the micro-moment is a very powerful marketing tool that you can use these days. You can take advantage of the data you receive from analytics tools to make potential customers more interested in making a purchase or you could increase overall brand awareness.