In web design, we always need to be aware of trends. Visitors expect a specific quality level and if your site looks outdated, it will not be that successful. Since user experience is so important for the success of all websites these days, every designer has to take advantage of modern trends. With all this in mind, the following 2021 web design trends are already used and need to be known.
So many old things are now cool again, with retro fonts enjoying the same process right now. Designs that use vintage typography do not age well but we still see a resurgence. The big thing here is that the retro fonts used in modern web design are reimagined. They feature artistry and stylization.
The fact that retro fonts are reimagined and used right now can also open the doors to other creative typographic improvements. So, make sure you keep your eyes on that too to revamp an old blog or site.
Parallax Scroll Animations
We have been seeing the use of parallax scroll effects for a long time and in 2021, there will be more creative and subtle explorations with the use of parallax. This is because using too much movement in the parallax effects will be harmful to visitors that have vestibular disorders. As a result, some general web design guidelines should be respected whenever using parallax:
- Parallax effects should never be a distraction.
- Make it very easy for visitors to complete important tasks.
- Minimize how much parallax movement is used.
- Use minimum parallax effects numbers.
- Constrain the parallax effects in a small screen area.
- Make it possible for visitors to turn off the parallax effects.
This year, parallax scroll will surely be used subtly. It will not be utilized for flashy effects and we will see it to highlight or emphasize important content.
Horizontal scrolling was a faux-pas in web design but it is making a comeback. There are continuous experiments with this option. Usually, this is done in order to progressively display secondary information, which is similar to how image galleries work.
If you think about using horizontal scrolling, remember this:
- Never force visitors to use horizontal scrolling. Use alternate navigation ways, like larger arrow buttons that have clear labels.
- Be extremely careful in choosing the content that benefits from horizontal scrolling. As an example, a photo gallery can be better with this technology.
- Utilize clear visual cues that indicate if the content is using a horizontal scroll.
- Always avoid using horizontal scrolling for text.
We now see larger and larger resolutions so 3D design has a field day. High-quality 3D elements are seamlessly weaved into numerous web designs. They do not garish distractions and they create a better overall user experience.
The best part of 3D elements is that they add a clear sense of dimensionality and uniqueness to the webpage.
Improved Multimedia Experiences
The last important 2021 web design trend we have to highlight takes full advantage of the fact that people now have access to much faster internet than before. Web designers are bringing together audio, video, text, and video. As a result, a very rich user experience is created.
Successful 2021 designs will take full advantage of multimedia experiences but will use constraint. The main rules to remember are:
- Always prioritize simplicity. If too much is added, it can be overwhelming or distracting.
- Different media formats need to be thoughtfully used so that content accessibility is maximized.
- Transcripts and closed captioning should be included for pre-recorded multimedia.
- Alt text needs to be added to images. Also, complex images should have a longer descriptive text.
- All text should be made with the use of HTML, not rendered in images.
- Autoplay videos should be avoided. A clear button labeled “Play” is always preferred.
The use of multimedia is growing but it can be the downfall of a great design when incorrectly used.